Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Trip Back in Time

Saturday Drew, Jax, and I headed out to Mr. Jim Jenkins' for his yearly making of sugar cane syrup.  My Dad and I used to go every year when I was little.  Mr. Jim is a black smith by trade, he's pretty famous for his iron workings on buildings in New Orleans that have been restored.  

I always loved going to Mr. Jim's with my Dad and I have many great memories on my visits there.  I was attacked by a peacock who left a scratch just below my right eye, apparently I got a little too close collecting his feathers.  I traded licks on an ice cream cone with about five catahoula curs.  And one time I came home with a baby goat, Tiny, who thought she was a dog.  I would wake up early before my parents and let her in the back door and sneak her into my room.  I'm so thankful for memories like these!  :)






Mr. Jim used to use horses and mules to grind his sugar cane, similar to this picture.


Put now he uses a power mill connected to an old John Deere to extract the sweet cane juice.




The sugar cane juice flows into a big stainless steel vat where it's skimmed and cooked for about four hours over a wood burning oven.



The wax from the cane rises to the top, just before boiling Mr. Jim skims the waxy layer off.  When I asked him how many times he skims his syrup he said, "Oh, about a thousand."  And I believe him, one thing is for sure Mr. Jim isn't in a hurry about anything and patience is a virtue, at least when is come to making syrup!

This building Mr. Jim calls his "museum."  It houses many artifacts from his life's travels: Brazil, Africa, and all over the US.







 Mr. Jim does things the way people were doing them in the 1800's and it is definitely a site to see.  Black smithing is one of those dying trades, with a few more decades it will be something we only read about.






 I can't wait to get my hands...well biscuit or sausage, into some of this year's syrup!!  I was so glad Drew was able to see just how this delicious treat is made:  with love, family, time, and generations of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment