Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chores Smores

When I was a kid I loved charts and I loved stickers.  And I really loved charts with stickers; therefore I was all about attendance charts, good behavior charts, etc. etc.  A few weeks ago I was in Schoolhouse Supply picking Andrew up a few Level A readers for some summer reading and I found a chore chart.  I scooped it up along with some frog stickers to see if Andrew would be interested.  Interested was quite an UNDERSTATEMENT!  We sat down together and made a list of things he could do as chores:
  • Brush my teeth AM
  • Help with the dishes
  • Clean my room
  • Check the garden
  • Laundry
  • Take out the trash
  • Brush my teeth PM
At first I was thinking we should start with just a few things and see how it goes...uh no.  Bud wanted to fill up all seven lines with chores.  I'll be honest I was a little skeptical at first, but man he is a chore tackling machine!  Brushing his teeth before bed is the only thing his Dad or I ever have to remind him about.  He's hilarious with the dishes, he loves putting up the silverware because each piece has it's own little compartment, so that caters well to his OCD genes.  Checking the garden is a game of hide and go seek/I spy for him so that's easy.  Laundry, is just his clothes and he has to refold everything!  Drives me a little crazy...but he likes to do it so more power to my little man.  Take out the trash is a team effort, but Lord help you if you take it out without him!  We decided that if he makes it all week doing each chore daily, then on Saturday mornings he gets to choose a sussie from the "Sussie Basket."  It's been great and he's learning so much about responsibility, accountability, plus the reward system aspect as well.  I'm so proud of him!

Week 1
Mega Snap Firecrackers for a job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment