Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Happy Mothers Day,

To all the moms, grandmas, stepmoms, and Do-Dahs out there! :)  

And especially to my Mama, Happy Mothers Day!


My Mother's Day started out pretty eventful.  I was on call for our entire site this past week for the first time.  Until Sunday morning all of my call outs were pretty much easy fixes over the phone...Then came this:
If you're breathing you probably know that the Mississippi River is steadily rising wreaking all kinds of havoc.  Sunday the Mighty Mississippi set her eyes on our south river dock.  I wish I had a video of my phone conversation, "Wait what collapsed?"  Followed by the famous Sweet Home Alabama quote, "Are you sh*tting me?"  So after a few hours of phone calls, damage assessment, and contingency planning I was on my way back home to enjoy my Sunday.

Erin & Drew took their mom to lunch downtown and I went to lunch and then shopping with my sister Stacie to help her find an outfit for Aub's graduation.  Which we found at our first stop, White House Black Market.  I love that store, but then again I do love black and white, so classy.  Then we headed over to Frock Candy were I found a couple of skirts and my new favorite belt. 

Yellow is another favorite color of mine.

When Stacie and I got back to my house sitting in our driveway was something I've had my eye on for quite sometime, a Cranbrook Beach Cruiser!
Needless to say I was pretty excited and completely unexpected.  
Next to Andrew my husband has made being a stepmom an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.  And next to learning from my own Mom being a stepmom is something that is preparing me to be a great mom to my own little rug-rats. 

Since the age of two Andrew has been teaching me so much about how a mom should nurture, protect, and teach their children to adapt to the world around them.  I have learned early that sometimes adapting is the more important lesson.  A mom (or a Do-Dah) cannot control everything life will throw at, not only themselves, but their children.  Teaching Andrew how to see the positive side of change is an ideal that will always be a priority for me as his stepmom, as his Do-Dah.

"You're my Do-Dah Brooke, and I'll always love you."- ABD IV 
 
 












 






It's not only children who grow.  Parents do too.  As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours.  I can't tell my children to reach for the sun.  All I can do is reach for it, myself.  ~Joyce Maynard

No comments:

Post a Comment