Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Roaring into Kindergarten!!

When Drew and I talked to Bud on Sunday he told us, "I WAS excited about school, but now I'm not anymore."  :(  I was a little worried about our little man's transition into kindergarten, since he hasn't been in an educational setting since he was 3, but I knew that once he was there with all the other kids he was going to be just fine. 

And as it turns out he was...  He only goes to school one day this week, Byars Dowdy calls it "Phase in Week 1."  On Thursday he'll find out who his teacher is and next week he'll again go for only one day, "Phase in Week 2."  Then the week of August 16th will be his first full week in kindergarten! :)

Drew and I gave him the "3rd Degree" about his day and this is what he told us:
Did you have fun at school today?  "Yes, I did have fun!"
Did you meet any new friends?  "I did, but I can't remember his name."
What was your favorite thing you did today?  "We read a story called Chica Chica Boom Boom and it was the best story ever, the letters climb up the coconut tree and then fall down.  And then I got to make a picture about the story."
Did you take a nap?  "No, you don't have to close your eyes.  You just have to lay down and be quiet."
What did you eat for lunch?  "I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

After we hung up Drew and I just sat there for a minute with half smiles, half frowns-bittersweet written all over our faces.  This is going to be hard to get used to, missing so much and getting the replay over the phone.  But he did great, he had fun, and he's going to be a smarty-pants just like his Daddy (and Aunt Erin!) and do brilliant things- no matter what they may be.  And that makes our hearts swell with pride and our lips curl up in smiles.

Our little Byars Dowdy Lion on his way home after his 1st day with his Chica Chica Boom Boom picture!


This is Andrew's school website:  http://www.byarsdowdy.org/  Each of the teachers have there own websites so once he finds out who his is I'll post it as well, so we call all keep up with our kindergartner's first year.




Byar's Dowdy also raises money through "Box Tops for Education" if you would like to support Andrew's school you can register at http://www.boxtops4education.com/.






No comments:

Post a Comment