Monday, August 16, 2010

Friends, Food, Fish, & Fellowship

Our weekend was pretty low key.  We're going to be on the go for the next two weekends:  Nashville then Chicago!  It’s nice to slow down from time to time and simply enjoy each other and time with friends.

Drew and I have met one other couple that enjoy food as much as we do, Matt and Brittany.  We are all true foodies!  Friday night we went with them and another couple to eat at Mestizo’s, which is my favorite Mexican restaurant in BR, and its history goes back a long way with Drew and I. When Drew and I first started dating we would take turns picking restaurants to eat at, so one evening it was my turn and I suggested Carlos’. Drew looked at me with this weird expression and I was like “What?!” He says, “No one know’s about Carlos’. My parents and I used to always eat there and no one has ever heard of it.” My parents had been taking me there for years but it’s true, no one our age had ever heard of it…so off we went to Carlos’. When Drew and I walked in Mrs. Jean (Carlos’ wife), just started shaking her head. She said to me, “Does your Daddy know you’re out with this handsome thing?!” I guess I should have known then what I was getting myself into. :)  But it turns out Mrs. Jean knew Drew pretty well also, “She must be pretty special, she’s the first one I’ve ever met.” Back then I wasn’t too sure that was saying much, given Drew’s blue-eyed charming, reputation.  Drew just grinned that Day grin, “I’m the special one she suggested to come here, so she brought me.” Hmph! He was such the ladies man…or at least he thought he was.

Drew and I spent many dinner dates at Carlos’ and one evening Mrs. Jean and Carlos came and sat at our table, “We’re retiring.” Drew and I looked at each other in confusion and replied in unison, “No way!” We were so disappointed that Mrs. Jean gave us their secret salsa recipe. I’m pretty sure Drew and I could live on Carlos’s salsa and crawfish tacos. YUM! Carlos mentioned that his son may open his own restaurant one day and after years of waiting Jim finally did, Mestizo’s.  While the salsa isn’t the same the crawfish tacos are still slammin’. Plus we have many new favorites on the menu. If you’re ever in BR looking for good, fresh Mexican cuisine check it out! mestizorestaurant.com

Saturday, Drew and his buddy Adam went fishing and sent updates via iPhone. :) I really think they were just trying to rub it in since I didn't go and I will admit I was a little jealous, but it's just too hot for me to fish on the banks of a pond!  Plus our yard was being Hydroseeded that morning and I wanted to make sure the guy showed up.  I have to have grass by November for our After Vegas party! :)



Bass, it's what's for dinner!
And man was it good, there's just nothing like fresh fish.

Our feline visitors must have sensed that Drew wasn't home because shortly after the hydroseed man left I heard little "meows" coming from our back door.  The heat was already stiffling so I let them come inside to soak up some AC and eat.  Shhh!  Don't tell!
Saturday night, I smashed my thumb-which Drew says was because I let the cats inside.  Yes, after he kept sending me pictures of huge bass I had to get him back by sending him the picture above! 
I'm not talking smashed a little bit, I almost took the tip of it off with a jerk reaction.  Thank goodness my friend Ricky saw me do it because when I turned around, all I heard was "She's gonna pass out." and to my knees a went.  I didn't pass out but I was wishing I would have.  It was the type of hurt that makes you sick to your stomach.  My finger started swelling and I just knew my thumb nail was going to pop off any minute- so after lots of ice and advil I finally fell asleep.

Sunday morning the pressure from the blood under my nail wasn't any better so I put Dr. Day on the scene, and had him drill a hole through my nail to relieve the pressure!  I had seen my Dad do this before after hitting his thumb with a hammer and I was willing to do just about anything to stop the throbbing.  Talk about trust, you know you trust someone when you stick a drill bit in their hand and say, "Don't stop until you see blood."  I wish we could have had a video of our faces as the process went on.  Talk about funny! 

After my finger finally quit bleeding and throbbing I went out to play in the flower beds and spent some time in reflection- From how wonderful Louisana food is, to how grateful I am for my thumbs, to how much I count on Drew, to how lucky I am to have great girlfriends to laugh, cry, and vent with...I'm so thankful to have so many loving, supportive people in my life.  When I look around at where I am and where I've been, I sometimes wonder about the decisions I've made and where I would be if I would have done things differently.  Our lives are not entirely made up of our own choices, other people's decisions affect our lives and in turn we have to make additional, and sometimes harder, decisions based on their decisions.  It's a catch 22 sometimes.  There are things that I wish I would have done differently both as a woman and as a Christian but forgiveness is a powerful thing and we receive it everyday at a price made hundreds of years ago.  I may not have chosen the paths God wanted me to, to get here, but I do believe I am where he wants me.  No matter the magnitude of my failings, I am forgiven and always will be.  In that I find understanding and compassion, but above all I find peace.  A peace that no one can give or ever take away, thanks to an awesome God.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. —John 14:27




2 comments:

  1. I am too hormonal to be reading your posts. I cry enough as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Syd hang in there! I'm not a mommy yet but even from step-mom experience, trust me when I say it will all be worth it! But you already know that...you can feel it in your stomach. :)

    ReplyDelete