Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Turn Your Christmas Swag On

I just finished up the last of the Christmas decorating for this year and now I'm sitting down to a glass of Makers and eggnog (as Jax tries to drink it in between sips and my husband teaches himself to play the Christmas song), I thought I'd blog about a few random Christmas items.

O Christmas Tree!

I think I may have told you last year, but I've never had a fake Christmas tree.  Like ever, in 29 Christmases.  The tallest tree I can remember having was about a 12 footer, I think that was the same year our tree fell three times because it was so off balance.  That was before they had these fancy-shmancy tree stands with the screws to help center your tree.  We had this huge Douglas Fir on one of those stands with a spike in the middle of the bowl with four legs made out of re-bar.  To keep the tree from tumping over you had to weigh the legs down with something heavy like bricks and then to get the tree straight you had to prop the legs up with stuff.  I pretty sure that year the tree was so crooked Dad had 2 x 4's under some of the legs.  If you walked by that tree too fast down it came!

Over the last few years Drew and I have gotten our Christmas trees at Clegg's Nursery, which is where I buy most of our plants also.  This year was no different and we ended up with a Noble Fir.  I have a lot of heavy ornaments and the Noble's limbs can handle the weight better than a Frasier or a Douglas.  But there's not an evergreen out there that smells better than a Douglas fir!

 My lumberjack centering the tree.

The majority of my tree decorations are red, white, green and silver.  But I have a few ornaments that I hang just because I love them for the memories or simply just because.
Here are a few of my favorite ornaments:
 I bought these vintage caroling clowns at a garage sale.

 These were my Maw Maw Nita's

 Erin bought me this one at Radio City in NYC.

 Our first ornament as husband and wife! :)

A few from our travels:

I have some more that I love, but most of those are Andrew's so I saved those for him to hang when he get's here on the 16th.


Christmas Accessories 

 Stockings hung by the fire with care:
Jax's, mine, Andrew's, & Drew's
(By the way it was Drew's idea that Jax needed a stocking!  He never ceases to amaze me.)

 While at Clegg's I also bought two beautiful Poinsettas.

 I love my nativity scene from my parents.  My hope chest is from them also. :)

Christmas Swag

I had planned on making two pine cone wreaths for my sliding barn doors, but I just haven't had time to scour my sister's yard for pine cones, so while on Pinterest today I saw these great swags and decided I could totally make one.  I had asked the guys at Clegg's if I could keep the trimmings from our tree so I had those, a few pine cones I had collected, wire ribbon, and some red holly berries.  I had to "youtube" how to make a bow, but all in all I thought they looked pretty good.  I think Drew was more impressed than I was. ;)




Jax's First Christmas
Jax seems to like Christmas as much as the next dog.  He loves the tree.  He lays under it, bites at the lowest limbs, and drinks the water out of my Christmas tree stand.  He also seems to like opening presents, more specifically Andrew's presents!

 He definitely wanted to help me decorate!

 He found John, our Elf on the Shelf.  Poor John.

 He was really worn out here from all the decorating.

Jax!

 Christmas tree flavored water is the best!

lol!

Christmas Shopping

As I posted earlier, I did a lot of this year's Christmas shopping online, mostly because I hate fighting the crowds and because Rue La La just makes it so darn easy!  But I am the worst Christmas shopper ever!  I received three boxes by UPS yesterday and two of them were stuff I had bought for myself!  How does that happen?!

Crappy Christmas Music Video

Ok, so did anyone else watch the Christmas tree lighting at Rockefeller Center?  Well in case you didn't they debuted the music video of Justin Beiber and Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas."    It's borderline creepy!  I mean really Mariah, who told you it was a good idea to wear that sleazy getup in a video with a 17 year old boy?!  Good gravy, the whole time I was saying, "Oh no she didn't!"  Hey, I'm not very excited about getting older either MC but girl, it's time to act like a 41 year old.  This doesn't even say "cougar," it says "perv!"

Time for a refill... 

No comments:

Post a Comment