Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Backyardigans

As soon as the weather starts to warm up I begin to twitch with anticipation wanting to go outside and play in the dirt.  This year Drew was almost as bad as I was, he had all of these plans for our garden this year and couldn't wait to make them a realization in our back yard.  His love for gardening has grown tremendously over the years.  I find it fascinating how our likes tend to rub off on each other.  And while he prefers vegetables over my more aesthetic flowers, his appreciation for those has grown as well or maybe it's more for the work I put into them he appreciates.  Either way, he oohs and aahs right along with me and I couldn't ask for anything more.  (God, I am my mother's child.)  


 I love trucks, tractors, dirt, and him.

A few annuals to plant.

 Jax wanted to help out too.

 New trellis for my Star Jasmine.

 "What?!  I'm just taking a little break."

"Leave me alone while I work on my tan."


 I'm pretty much in love with my herb garden this year!
I planted basil, dark basil, cilantro, Italian and Greek oregano, lemon thyme, chives, leeks, and lavender.
And then on the pink trellises I planted cucumbers per Erin's request. :)

 My husband planted these tomatoes the first week in March.
They are huge!


 And this is Drew's garden he planted every kind of tomato I've ever heard of:
Purple tomatoes, Golden tomatoes, Springfield tomatoes, Better Boy tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, Creole tomatoes cherry tomatoes and the list goes on...

 We also planted squash, zucchini, bell peppers, jalapenos, and okra.
Aaaah, I can't wait to have fresh produce!


I also planted some Shasta Daisies this year.


A while back we started this little project, which turned into a much bigger project.  But the only thing we have left to do is add the fire pit.  It's going to go where the missing rectangle is on the back row.  I just can't decide what I want, do I want a brick one, a metal one, a bowl shaped one, or a concrete one?

 Star Jasmine blooming and smells heavenly.

 Lots of buds getting ready to bloom!

 One of my favorite flowers, Hydrangeas 

 Day-lily buds  

And finally fuzzy magnolia buds!

In just a few weeks I'll have beautiful Southern blooms all over my yard!  Ew-we, I can hardly wait.  Don't worry I'll post plenty of pictures of each in all their glory. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment