Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Stupid Happy

When Drew and I first met, during my 2nd semester at LSU, I had just discovered Nora Jones' music and she was pretty much all I listened to for the longest time.  Every time she went on tour, which was very rare in itself, she never came any where near Baton Rouge. Eventually, I quit checking Ticketmaster for tour dates and became content to buy her albums as she released them.

Almost 9 years later (!), Santa Drew got me tickets to the Nora Jones concert in Mobile, AL and a nights stay at at My Victorian Bed & Breakfast for Christmas!  
My Victorian Bed & Breakfast was built in 1899!

Mardi Gras Motif
Mobile loves Mardi Gras and the locals will tell you, 
"New Orleans can say what they want but Mardi Gras originated here!"

Jim and Naomi bought the house in 2005 and turn it into a B&B.  Jim is an artist/graphic designer and Naomi sells vintage wedding dresses dating all the way back to the 1920's, at Victorian Lace.  They were quite an interesting and talented couple and they did all of the restoration and painting themselves!

The foyer





Rockwell, he's a permanent resident that Jim and Naomi found at a shelter. :)


The Saenger Theater in Mobile was built in 1927.


I'm sure we've all been to concerts where the sound is terrible and it can really ruin the whole experience of hearing your favorite artist perform live, but not here!  This building was built for amazing performances, the acoustics were incredible.  If I closed my eyes Nora sounded just like she does singing through my iPod headphones.  Patrons aren't aloud to use the flash on their cameras inside so my pictures of the concert are all a blur of lights. :(
During intermission Drew asked me, "Well what do you think?"  I just sat there....until finally I said, "At this very moment I'm stupid happy." 
"Huh?"  
"You know, stupid happy.  So happy you can't think of a word to describe it so all you can do grin a goofy grin!"  
Of course he gives me the "Your crazy" look (I'll try to get a picture of it one day) and laughs at me, "Well I guess that's what I was shooting for-Stupid happy works."

Breakfast is served at 8:30 sharp every morning at the B&B.  I don't think there's anything better than waking up to the smells of bacon and coffee!  But the real treat was the bananas foster french toast, A-mazin'!  After breakfast we took a tour of the Oakleigh Garden District.  The homes were absolutely beautiful!








The South is truly a different world, from the architecture, to the people, to the way of life- I love living here and I couldn't imagine raising my children anywhere else in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment