Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Long Weekend in the Country

Last week we went to visit my parents on their farm in Oklahoma.  We had a wonderful time, doing the things I loved to do as a kid on our farm.  Andrew did not want to leave and is already counting down the days until he sees Maw T and Paw Paw Larry again.  After our first afternoon with Mom and Dad, Andrew told his Daddy, "They are so nice to us, I'm so glad they are my Maw Maw and Paw Paw."  It made my Mom's week that Andrew didn't want to leave.  Grandparents are so important and as someone whose grandparents are all in heaven I'm so thankful that Andrew has so many sets of grandparents who love and adore him and will be there for him no matter what.

 My boys ready to fly!


 Jax with his "Mutt Muffs" on for hearing protection.


 Our pilot!

 10,000 ft up, amazing!

 About an hour into our flight Andrew was out like a light.



Flying turned a 10 hour drive into 3 hour direct trip!  I can't say enough how proud of Drew I am that he put forth the time and effort to become a pilot! Not only is flying with him an amazing experience for me, but as Andrew gets older I know how much he will enjoy flying with his Dad.  Not to mention how much easier it is on us to travel with a 7 year old and a terrior! :)  

Big Sky.  Something I definitely miss.

Mom picked up this cute set of siblings on Thursday.  Misty is the cat on top, Dad named her because she's a "misty gray" color.  Andrew named the bottom cat Loco, "because he's colored all crazy."  I love that kid, Drew nicknamed Loco, Gremlin.  Mom thinks he's so ugly he's cute! 
Digging potatoes for supper.

Peaches, potatoes, tomatos, onions, okra, banana peppers, cucumbers, squash, and zucchini all fresh from some fertile Oklahoma red dirt. 

My folks have a picnic table that we have all carved our names into and Andrew got to add his name to the bunch!



I love the he write "the 4th" instead of IV.  Such a rebel, lol!

 

Yum, ribeye kabobs made with all of our freshly picked veggies.
We went rolling down a dirt road to some long times friends' place to watch some fire works.  Andrew was so excited to ride in the back of a truck on the road.  I loved all of his, "are we really going to do this" faces he made over the weekend.  There's nothing like the face of a kid doing a doing something for the first time.


Sunday morning, ready for church at Countryside Baptist.


So blessed and so loved!
A little Sunday afternoon slippin' and slidin'.
So Andrew isn't the greatest slipper or slider.
A little demo from the Do-Dah.
A little better I guess...


Swimming at my sister's house.  Andrew loved him some Jacob.

The Daddy Laucher

Helping Jacob feed his heifer, TNT.

Meanwhile Emily worked on her beautification techniques.

Monday we headed into OKC and decided to hit up a stop on the Diner's Dives and Drive Ins list.  We try to stop at, at least one hole in the wall place on Guy's list where ever we go and so far we have yet to be disappointed.  We decided on Ingrid's Kitchen which boasted delicious German food, and it was exactly that!


Andrew ordered a balogne sandwhich with mustard.  We weren't sure how he was going to like German mustard so we just decided to let things play out and he loved it!  My corn

Chocolate eclaire.

Our next stop was the Science Museum! Andrew had a blast and we saw a movie in the planetarium all about tornadoes and storm chasers.

















On the way back to Mom and Dad's we took historic Route 66 and made a pit stop at Pops.  Pops has every type of soda pop you can imagine! 





Monday afternoon while Dad, Andrew, and I were out feeding the cows.  Dad noticed one cow was way off by herself so we eased up on her and she had just had her first baby cow!  Dad's had her for a couple of years but this was her first time to have a calf.  He was pretty please with ole #23.


Mom and Dad's stray Lab, Sable.

Helping Maw T fill her bird feeders.

My Mom's greenthumb is pretty fabulous, I'm glad she gave some of those growing powers to me!

Drew helping Dad hook up the bush-hog.

The Garden.

Andrew wanted to ride with Paw Paw on the tractor.

Pleased as punch!

And our last night in OK we headed into Stillwater for some ribs.  Andrew's new proclaimed favorite food.

We had a wonderful time.  My Mom is the greatest hostess I know and she goes above and beyond making us feel at home in her home.  And my Dad, well he's my Dad and I'm his Daddy's girl and I always will be. 

As the days pass, as I learn more of life's lessons the more I realize how important my parents and how they raised me have been.  I can't thank them enough for teaching me faith in God, how to love, how to share, how to be responsible, and how to be independent as a woman.  There are so many little things they taught me that I want to pass on to Andrew and to my own children, that sometimes it overwhelms me, but I know that as each new situation arises the things they taught me will come to mind and I will be able to pass a little bit of my parents on. 

Love you Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment