Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spelunking in Alabama

I definitely have a lot of blogging to do from our weekend in Birmingham!  Here we go...

Since Andrew's bio-mom wasn't off on Friday we made the trek to Birmingham, AL Thursday night to spend the Easter weekend with our little boy.  To say the least that drive is no fun at all!  It takes us about 6 hours, I can't wait for our plane to be ready!  The flight will only be 2 hours, so we'll be able to fly home instead of staying in B-Ham on 3 day weekends.  (Hurry up, Uncle Larry!)

Andrew was pretty grumpy by the time his step-dad dropped him off, it's definitely harder on him to leave in the middle of the night but we try to accommodate when we can, (even though most of the time it seems pretty one sided.)  After we went through the motions of getting ready for bed, he figured out that I had brought MY comfy pillow from home and once he had succeeded in talking me out of it he was sound asleep with a snaggled tooth grin. :)

That night the tooth fairy came for a visit! 
The Tooth Fairy Dance, look for it on MTV or VH1 soon!

"How many cents are in four dollars?  Mrs. Bird says since I love money I've gotta be good at math, so I'll know when someone gives me the wrong change."
(Sometimes I wonder what can actually be passed on genetically!?)

"Daddy told me to get myself dressed!  Haaaaa!" 
(I love when he cracks himself up!)

Next we headed over to DeSoto Caverns!  I had forgotten how much I loved Earth Science in school, all of the fun cave facts I had learned over the years came flooding back to memory.  I'll share a few with you as we go!

  
 Water show inside the cave.


 My spelunkers!
(Cave explorers)

 This formation is called "flowstone,"
it's formed when water flows over the cave walls.

 The black colored rock is manganese
and the white color is calcite.
The brown to red color rock is iron oxide, aka rust.
Andrew liked the "mangoknees" the most because, "Black is my favorite color!"

 This formation is called a a "drapery,"
because it looks like a curtain.  :)


 Stalactites hang from the ceiling.

These are about to reach the cave floor!

Stalagmites form up from the cave floor.

In this picture you can see the point where a stalactite meets
a stalagmite to create a "column."

 It's a comfortable 60 degrees in the cave year round!

I think we would make a great spelunking family! ;)

Once we were back above ground we checked out some of the activities in the fun park.

Nerf Air Cannons!

I was held hostage while Andrew fired away!

We panned for gold and struck it rich!

Had a water balloon fight!

And cooled off in the fountains!

After so many activities we were worn out so we headed back to the Hyatt for a nap....

YEAH RIGHT!
Wrestle mania ensued!

Somehow I managed to get a nap in, then we got ready to eat at Flip!
 I was ready in no time with my mini make-up artist on hand! LOL!
"There now you're perfect!"

"There now I'M perfect!"

Time for pictures!  Andrew is all about picture taking right now, so we had our own photo shoot with Andrew as the choreographer!

  "Dad you gotta stand up to take pictures right!"

(I must admit, this one is much better.)

"Okay peace sign time!"
(Drew was dying laughing, I don't know how this one isn't blurry?!)

I absolutely love these two Days!

I just asked Drew what he was thinking in this picture and he said, "I was reminding myself that he's only 6.  Sometimes I have to do that from time to time." :) :(

Drinking a Nehi!

Purple tongue!

It's pretty hard to eat a burger with only 1 front tooth!

Finally, we hit up 32 Degrees for some frozen yogurt!
Andrew's choice??

Watermelon with Nerds!  
(I tried it and I'm pretty sure that unless you have six year old little boy taste buds, you would think the same thing I did upon trying it...YUCK!)

What a day!!  We were non stop and we had a terrific time being us together. And yes that was only Friday!

LOTS MORE TO COME!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures that are capturing so much of what I am missing on these too short visits and grateful and proud of all the sacrifices being made with only Andrew's best interest at heart. How y'all manage to squeeze in so much in a week-end amazes me. Oh wait, that was just one day. I love these two so very much! It is a lot like watching a rerun with some of the things he is saying and doing. Wow! I can say with all certainty that history has definitely repeated itself in Andrew B Day,IV. :)

    ReplyDelete